Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why You Should See "Drive" at the Theater

First, watch the trailer:


Second, let me set your expectations. This movie is hella violent. There's not a lot of dialog. And there are a lot of longing glances. But you know what? I liked it - and not just because Ryan Gosling is DELICIOUS.

To that end...

What's Good: Gosling. The brooding. The badass-ness. He's bat shit in this role, but good God I couldn't care less. The supporting cast (especially Albert Brooks) is perfection. The soundtrack and the opening credits will take you back to 1983 in the absolute best way possible.

Check out that font.

It's creepy, but features a Casio, which means it's awesome.

What's Not as Good: The chemistry between Ryan & Carey Mulligan. Forgive me British people, but she's kind of the poor man's Michelle Williams (especially in terms of her on screen relationship with Ryan). I guess she's supposed to be a symbol for all the purity he cannot have (he's a scorpion, he can't help it), but the passive/weak/single mother/babydoll hair clip-bit was too saccharine-y sweet for me.

Third, here's the answer to the question posed in the above title:


Yep.

Honestly, I really don't think he's the greatest or best looking actor of our generation.

But damn, he wears a pair of black leather driving gloves like nobody's business.

1 comment: