Thursday, October 27, 2011

Don't Cry Out Loud: A Retrospective

GUEST POSTER, PETE TALABA
I've been toying with the idea of firing up a blog for a few months now, so when Lauren asked me to do a guest post while she goes on holiday (that's British for "vacation"), I said "sure." 

Then I realized what I signed up for. What the hell was I going to guest blog about? So many possibilities, so much I could say (and swear about). 

So, while out grocery shopping - one of the many things I excel at besides going to the gym, buying stuff, critical thinking (it's my job after all), and being extremely patient - it came to me. 

I have ONE WEEK LEFT to buy Brach's Autumn Mix before it's ripped from the store shelves never to be seen again until next August. 



And by that I mean the Behind the Music of how Lauren and I came to be friends, confidants, gym/spin/yoga enthusiasts, brunch & dining buddies, serial material spenders, movie mates, practice dates, and neighbors. Simply put, we've never been roommates or married (allegedly). 

I'll keep it brief. It did not start, nor do I envision it ending like this (but I love this song). 

Lauren and I were introduced at work (I make this sound like a setup). We talked on the phone when she was entertaining being rotated to the account I worked on. There was no candy coating it. She was straightforward, no bullshit. I liked her already. 

Months later, when we realized we could be friends - Lauren divulged to Jennifer (our married but still very hip & fun friend that makes up our trio: LLF) and I that she was intimidated by us. It's like we were mean girls or something. 


So that was the beginning of our friendship. Which continues to evolve everyday, and you know what? It's pretty great. 

Because we find theme songs to define moments in our life. 

Like a rough week at the office. 


Or the end of a dry spell. 



Lauren reminds me that it's ok to go to bed at 9 p.m., watch bad tv, that buying "investment" pieces is a justifiable way to spend money, sarcasm can never be underrated, and most importantly - take control and live life without making (too many) compromises. F yeah. 

(Ok, I'm sold on the blog thing, launching in January 2012).




No comments:

Post a Comment