Friday, July 29, 2011

"Somewhere" is Nowhere Good

So perhaps the following movie write up is not timely. But in the spirit of using this platform to truly help America (and by "America", I mean the 7 people reading this), I felt it was my duty to spread the word about the cinematic sleep aid, "Somewhere".



"Somewhere" is a little gem brought to you by Sofia Coppola, of "Godfather 3" and pink cans of champagne-fame. I want to like this little entitled hipster, but her latest "film" is so obnoxiously indulgent and story-less, I truly cannot find a single reason to sit through it.

Wait - I lied - the soundtrack (by Phoenix) is slightly above average.

The film, starring Stephen Dorff (still kinda cute, still short) and Elle Fanning (the less annoying sister) plays out like a cautionary tale for all celeb-wannabes who dream of living and/or hanging out at the Chateau Marmont. He's famous. He's rich. He likes hookers.

SURPRISE!

Elle plays his daughter (cue I-have-a-heart-and-I'm-flawed-therefore-I-am-interesting, sledgehammer). After spending a few random days flitting around the infamous LA hotel (remember Eloise? It's like that, but with coke & hookers), he realizes that he needs to get his shit together. I mean, I guess that's what we're supposed to gather.


Hollywood hipster elitist probably think it's brilliant. In the same way they think hemp shirts rock, everyone has a nanny, and seitan is a major food group.

1 out of 5 stars (No movie gets a "0". I got a post out of it, didn't I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment