Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pints, Quarts, Tablespoons, Liters, And Other Things I Don't Get

The title of this post is the working title of my upcoming autobiography.

No it's not (thoughitcouldbe).

Measurements, metrics, rulers, those metal things you use to create circles (can't think of the name, but they look like this):


have always been my achilles heel. I distinctly remember my dad sitting me on the kitchen counter with all of the contents of our refrigerator surrounding me. He was so desperately trying to get me to understand how many of the half 'n half containers were needed to fill up the milk carton. Or how many of the milk containers were needed to fill the gallon of juice.


I didn't get it.

I still don't. Unfortunately for me, this is the one thing you learn in math class that you actually DO need in real life. Every time I bake, I have to look up the same conversion questions. I actually have them bookmarked on my phone.

Why can I remember that Jennifer Aniston promised to make Brad Pitt banana milkshakes in their wedding vows? Or that Nicole Kidman wore a hideous yellow dress to the Oscars the first time she went as Tom Cruise's date? How is this helpful?

As I sit here typing this very second, I cannot tell you with confidence how many sticks of butter equal a cup. And I made 3 dozen cookies 2 days ago.

If I have to remember, so do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment