Wednesday, December 7, 2011

National Board of Review's Top 10 Movies of 2011 (with my commentary)

To be honest, I think this year can only be described as average when it comes to movie releases. Without this list from our friends at the NBR, I'm not sure I would have been able to list 10 movies I liked (or even saw) in 2011. But because I love award season AND making lists, I will get on board with the early predictors ...
Top Films of 2011 (in alphabetical order):
The Artist:

As a movie fan, I should want to see this movie. But it's silent. As in no dialog. No words. Just overly expressive faces. Apparently- much like the Chaplin films of yore- it's beautiful and the "story" is clear, despite the absence of sound. Spoiler Alert: Mr.Chaplin had a voice. And I bet he would have liked to have been heard. Our ancestors from the '20s didn't choose to not having dialog, they just didn't have a choice. Much like using an abacus instead of a calculator sounds like some back-to-basics fun, it's frustrating and unsatisfying. This is my pick for "Film The People In Hollywood Want You To Pretend To Like Because It Makes Us Sound More Interesting As A Country".


The Descendants:

I did see this one and I enjoyed it. Do I think it's as good as previous year's indie sleepers ("Up In The Air", "Sideways", "Juno"), no. But it's a solid little movie-watching experience. George is good. His daughter (played by Shailene Woodley**) is good. The dialog is good. None of it is great. The fact that it's on a "Best Of" list, speaks to the quality of films we got this year.
**I want to like her, but I saw her interviewed on Chelsea Lately & she said something like "I think it's my job to open the human race's eyes to what's really going on in the world." NOPE.

Drive:
To me, this is easiest the best film of the year. Everything about it was original. The story, the cinematography, the music, the styling, etc. Yes, I love me some Gosling, but even if he's not your cup of tea, you cannot deny how badass (and creepy) he was in this role. You know a movie has had some impact if you find yourself talking/thinking about it days later. This is the only film I can say that about this year. Sidenote: The soundtrack is one of my favorite album purchases of the year.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo:

I plan to see this one over the holidays (not out yet), but I'm guessing it will not beat Drive as my pick for film of the year. I read the book and saw the original version of the film. Loved the book. Hated the movie. We'll see if the western version of the same story ranks higher on the coveted LaurenMeter. With Daniel Craig at the helm, there's a good chance it will.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2:


I actually saw this movie long before most of the world thanks to a pre-screening I attended back in April. The film was about 70% done at the time, so all of the special effects were not yet in place. Having not seen the first 6 films, I had to figure out the gist (luckily the books were written for 10-year-olds, so I was able to catch up) as it went along. Honestly? I thought it was long. The characters had a clear bond and they definitely wrapped things up nicely at the end. But is this really going to be nominated for an Oscar? Really?!

The Ides of March:

I am ashamed to say I have not seen this one. My boyfriend RG is PISSED. Most reviews I read gave it a solid B. Much like George's "Descendants", a lot about this particular film was on target, but it never quite reached the "OMGIHAVETOTELLEVERYONETOSEETHIS"- status. I am definitely looking forward to this one showing up On Demand, but I highly doubt it'll beat "Drive". 

J. Edgar:

Nope. I have no doubt that Leo gave it his very best "old tortured historical figure"-try, but nothing about this film's trailer or the reviews made me want to see it. I just don't care about what Hoover did or didn't do and/or who he did or didn't do it with. Turns out the rest of America agreed as this one was in & out of the theaters faster than you can say HotTubTimeMachine.

Tree of Life:

Full Disclosure: I do not like modern art. If you splash some blue paint on a white canvas and make up a story about how it represents your childhood demons, you are not an artist. I realize this is not a popular or widely shared opinion, but it is mine, so deal with it. To that end, I refuse to believe that a series of images (however beautiful) with a rousing soundtrack and some famous faces warrants an Oscar. To be fair, I also don't think that if you spend millions to recreate a childhood cartoon (see "Transformers" franchise), you are making a film worth seeing. I'm an equal opportunity offender. 

War Horse:

I'll be honest, I saw the above trailer and thought, SERIOUSLY?! But I'm hearing that this one is a real gem. For serious. I don't really care much for animals, but I love a good horse film. I will likely weep (if that horse dies, I'm going to be a mess), but I've changed my tune on this one. I think it's worth seeing. But again, is it really the best of the year? Is it only on this list because Spielberg is involved? Probs.

No comments:

Post a Comment