Friday, December 2, 2011

JayZ & Kanye: 5 Observations

I had the pleasure of attending Hova & Yeezy's show this week. Here's my takeaway.


1) I have no idea what "Watch the Throne" means. They're both kings and therefore need to watch each other's chairs when they go to the bathroom? Maybe the throne is the bathroom and they're just asking us to stand guard so no one walks in? Either way, it's refreshing to find 2 musicians who don't have inflated views of themselves. Anyhoo, what they should call the tour is "We're Going to Play Everything You Want Us To". Seriously, they did not miss one song this little white girl wanted to hear. "Big Pimpin"? Yep. "Dirt Off My Shoulder"? Yep. "New York", "Hard Knock Life"? Yep. Oh, and Kanye was there too.


2) The show itself was actually kind of perfect (though I could do without the Kid's Incorporated laser light show). They would do a few songs together (mainly from their new album), and then one of them would call the other a genius before exiting stage right to let the other have the spotlight. I am partial to Jay Z (if you haven't seen "Fade To Black", SEE IT), but Kanye has some undeniable hits. "Stronger", "Gold Digger", "Jesus Walks", and that stuff with the autotune. I, however, liked him best when he shared the stage with J, especially "Monster" and "Run This Town".


3) I did not bring or smoke any weed before, during, or after the show. However, the contact high from simply being in the United Center, was tough to deny. So much so that today I got into the car with the same coat on and thought the driver was high. Nope, just my cape.

4) I know these guys are cray-cray rich, but it was actually really endearing to see the looks on their faces when they'd point the mike at the audience and every single one of us knew exactly what to do. Do I believe for one second either one of them is humble? Nope. But I do believe there is a little boy in each of them that still can't believe their good fortune.


5) These guys "played" for 3 hours. No dancers. No intermissions. No one suspended from the ceiling. Just 2 guys, doing their thing. Were the tickets pricey, even for the nosebleeds? Yep. Was it worth it so I can cross seeing these 2 off my bucket list? Absolutely.


Next concert on the agenda? Bon Iver on 12/9. Should be pretty similar.

1 comment:

  1. Observation 6: the background video display of dangerous predators ranging from panthers to eagles to black bears would have been greatly enhanced had they incorporated the honey badger. Other than that, 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete