Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Think I Might Like Cooking

For years my idea of "cooking" included the following techniques:

-Putting hummus on any sandwich so that it's not dry
-Perfecting my oatmeal to water ratio
-Melting cheese on a frozen Annie's burrito
-Dumping pre-cut vegetables into a bowl with spinach & salad dressing


It's weird I haven't been approached by the Food Channel.

After a recent successful run at making my mom's stuffing, a berry cobbler, and the very best corn bread I've ever had, I've realized the following:

1) Cooking is remarkably less annoying when you have supplies.
2) When you're only feeding yourself (and your not picky boyfriend), it's actually kind of relaxing.
3) On the downside, I eat more when I cook.

Anyway, here's the recipe for the aforementioned cornbread. Enjoy.


1 cup cornmeal (I like the organic kind from Whole Foods)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup regular milk (don't go skim, it absolutely matters)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (convention, it cooks better)
Grease the muffin pan with a little butter (not the fat free crap)
In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients, then add the wet.
Bake for 18-20 minutes.

It's pretty great with chili. Or soup. Or on it's own. Doesn't even need extra butter, it's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment