Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Top 10 Songs of 2011

The songs listed below may or may not have been released in 2011. They're simply the songs that I found myself playing on repeat over the last 12 months. Like all good music, they represent different phases, memories, and moments that stand out to me as I reflect back on the year that was 2011.


1) Shake it Out, Florence and the Machine: 

Flo & her machine did not disappoint with their late 2011 release of "Ceremonials". This track is a staple on my "get your ass up and work-out"-mix.

2) If I Die Young, The Band Perry: 

I'm fairly certain this song came out in 2010, but whatever. I decided to like it this year. It's hella depressing, but there's something about it I just can't get sick of.

3) Heart Full of Promise/Head Full of Doubt, The Avett Bros: 

This song breaks my heart and gives me hope. I love it so much I used it in my brother's wedding video. This one would probably make my Top 10 Songs Ever list.

4) Cracks, Freestylers: 
Because of my ongoing So You Think You Can Dance-fantasy, after this song was featured in one of the numbers, I decided (obviously), that when I audition someday, this will be the song I will choreograph my routine to.

5) All of the Lights, Kanye West:

Oh Kanye. You are such an ass, but you make some pretty solid music. You proved yourself to be quite the showman at the Watch The Throne concert...maybe you're growing up?

6) Your Song, Ellie Goulding:

If it's good enough to be the first dance song for Kate & Wils, it's good enough for me.

7) Someone Like You, Adele:

I know. It's an obvious choice. But good God, how can you not love it? How can you not want to weep your eyes out listening to it? Well done you British genius.

8) Beth/Rest, Bon Iver:

I was thrilled to see the Grammys finally recognize the brilliance that is Bon Iver (as a "best new artist", 3 years after they started touring). This album lulls me to sleep literally every night and I wouldn't have it any other way.

9) You Make My Dreams Come True, Hall & Oates:

Yes, I know it's old. But it's my favorite song ever. Ever.

10) The Cave, Mumford & Sons: 

I started loving them in 2010. I continue to love them in 2011. Now that everyone else is getting on board, I'm going back to the basics, reliving their first hit single.


Look out for my Grammy recap on Monday, February 12th.

1 comment:

  1. Your Song was Kate and Wils first song? how ironic? "I don't have much money but if I did I'd buy a big house where we both could live." REALLY?

    But LOVE the list. Gave me some new ones to download!

    ReplyDelete