Thursday, September 1, 2011

Really Morgan Freeman?

Secret: I don't love animals. I don't like to see them hurt or anything, but I don't melt when I see a giraffe or feel compelled to pet every dog I pass on the street.
Caveat: I hate cats. They make me itch. They haunt my nightmares. Seeing them at the animal shelters does not make me sad. Judge all you want.

Anyway, this overall lack of love translates to animal-centric movies. I don't mind when an actual dog or horse is featured in a realistic way (ala "Marley & Me" or "True Grit"), and cartoons are just fine.  But when the wonders of post-effect houses have them talking and/or wearing clothes I'M OUT. For example:

"Babe". Guess what? Pigs don't have a vocabulary.


"Look Who's Talking Now". This movie must have irritated the hell out of actual screenwriters DYING for funding.


"The Shaggy Dog". Dogs don't wear glasses. Or turn into people.


So when I saw the trailer for "DophinTale" (check out that clever play on words!!!), I wanted it to be a promo for SNL's new season. But then Ashley Judd showed up. And Morgan Freeman. And Kris Kristofferson. And this year's Dakota Fanning, only he's a boy.


HUH?

Listen, I am all for family entertainment. Movies like the original "Shrek" and "The Fabulous Mr. Fox" are favorites. But when something that should MAYBE be an ABC Family movie is pitched & sold as a motion picture, I can't help but wonder who's making the decisions in La-La Land.

p.s. If it's the same guys behind any movie starring Kevin James, I guess we know where the bar is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment