Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall TV Roundup: Week 1

Well folks, we've got a keeper ("Up All Night") & and a well, maybe ("The Ringer").

"The Ringer"

The Goodish: Buffy is back. Is her portrayal of the twin sisters so technically impressive, she simply must win an Emmy? Nope. But she does have screen presence. The supporting cast is just okay (which probably helps SMG's shine factor), but Ioan Gruffudd as her brother-in-law who thinks he's her husband brings some cache to the otherwise where-have-I-seen-you-before-wait-I-don't-care- cast. The soap opera plot, revolving around one twin taking over her allegedly dead twin's life is very Days of our Lives, circa 1988, which I respect. There were so many doors opened in the pilot, there will be no shortage of subplots. Infidelity? YES. Slutty teenage daughter who hates her stepmom? YES. Fake pregnancy? YES. Masked men jumping innocent women who happen to have guns hidden in the best place possible? YES. I'm in.

The Bad: Um, 3 words: The boat scene. It's so very bad, I thought for sure they were going to pull out to reveal that one of the sisters is an actress and they were shooting a scene for her show within a show (are you following that? If you watched, I know you are). For those of you who weren't watching, picture the Fonzie surfing scene. Like that, but worse. Also on the ehh list? The predictable plot lines. Anyone who's ever watched a show on the CW (and or remembers "Ryan's Hope") will know how this is going to pan out. I would love to be proven wrong, but it's doubtful. I guess what's keeping me interested is the fact that I'm curious to see which obviously route they're going to go.

The Verdict: This will get a full season pickup. People love SMG. They love a good soap opera. And The Ringer has built in cliffhangers. Can't beat a good twin swicharoo - It's like Parent Trap meets Gossip Girl meats Rear Window. I predict the husband falling for the twin he thinks is his wife. Also predict the season-ender involving the a big reveal of the 2 sisters face-to-face. In front of a hall of mirrors. BOOM.  I'm in for at least 2 more. Much like dating, I give the new fall shows 3 "dates". Impress me. Entertain me. Prove to me you're worth it, and I'll devote some time to you.



"Up All Night"

The Good: The cast is perfection. I completely buy that Will & Christina are married. And Maya as the diva Oprah (she veers a little too close to her SNL Oprah impression in one sence, but I'll forgive) is laugh-out-loud-funny (I've been singing "...just like the white-winged dove..." every since). The story is modern (working mom, stay-at-home-dad) and the struggles are real (balancing 2 worlds, making a marriage work when you have this scary little person sleeping over every night, etc). p.s. I love that they swear in front of their baby. And also, NO LAUGH TRACK.
The Badish: Well, apparently they retooled the focus of the pilot (and potentially future episodes) to give more time to Maya (post-"Bridesmaids" success). I'm not sure they needed to. Pilot episodes are always tough to nail. "Up All Night" wasn't quite sure who it wants to be about. The struggling working mom? The lost stay-at-home-dad? or the Lonely diva celebrity? All 3 feel like the lead at different points. And you know what? Maybe that's okay. But please, NBC, don't give Nick Cannon camera time. He makes my brain hurt.
The Verdict: I'm in. These 3 are my favorites, so there's no way it's going to suck. I predict Emmy noms for Maya.

1 comment:

  1. sorry friend. i did not enjoy up all night. but maybe ill eat my words in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete