Friday, September 23, 2011

Fall TV Roundup: Week 2

Fall debuts continued this week...I'm giving 'em a solid B across the board, which means I'll be applying my aforementioned 3-date rule. You each get 2 more. Make 'em count. 

"2 Broke Girls"
The Good: The casting, especially Kat Denning. I've liked her since Nick & Norah's Amazing Placelist Tape Deck (or whatever that movie was called). There are multiple, "wow, they just said that on network TV (CBS, no less)"-moments, which I respect. Extra bonus? The realistically furnished NYC apartment (I don't want to live there, but I buy that they do).

The Badish: We've seen the upper crust beauty queen loses it all only to be saved by the snarky, down on her luck street smart girl-shtick before (um, "Friends"). The nice twist here is these 2 like each other. And the blond girl isn't dumb, she went to Wharton. This makes her likable and not a Paris Hilton knock-off. The perverted cook/sidekick is uninspired and the least funny character. Hoping he gets written off.

The Verdict: I'm in. Though the premise has been done before, there is enough differentiating it to keep me interested. And I love Kat Denning. I've always wanted to be that snarky. That tough. Or at least friends with someone who is.


"New Girl"


The Good: The 3 sidekicks stole the show for me. Though I cannot remember their character's names at the moment, I liked 'em. The actors (thanks IMDB), Max Greenfield (never heard of him), Jake M. Johnson (don't know you, lose the "M"), and Damon Wayans jr, (apparently he's only in the pilot, we'll see how his replacement does), are all adorably real. And funny. The douche bag guy (Max's character) is probably the least original BUT he inspired some of the best reaction lines outta the other 2, so we'll keep him. Plus, I like the fact that the show wants to revolve around the quirky girl (the one typically cast as the zany sidekick). I miss you Kimmy Gibbler.

The Badish: WE GET IT. YOU'RE ADORABLE. Zooey (being naturally adorable in real life), doesn't need to push some of the character's out there antics as far as she does (really, she showers with a bathing suit on?), just to make us like her. We already do. STOP TRYING SO HARD.

The Verdict: You know, I kind of didn't want to like it (I've been on a bit of an anti-hipster movement of late), but damn if she's not (ultimately) likable. Combine her with those 3 sidekicks, and you just might have a hit.
p.s. Yes, I know that at least one of them will fall in love with her and that the whole show will revolve around a "will they or won't they"/"ross/rachel"-type scenario, but whateves. I predict the softie with a broken a heart will be her lobster.

"Revenge"


The Goodish: The scenery is pretty killer. Madeline Stowe (I've loved her since "The Last of the Mohicans") as the queen of the island is perfection. And call me a simpleton, but I'm intrigued by the plot. The mystery, specifically how all of these rich idiots tie together, has me guessing (moreso than "The Ringer"...sorry SMG).

The Badish: The stereotypical characters. One is hardly discernible from the other. To be clear, I watch pretty much anything on the CW (this includes "One Tree Hill"), so the bar is low. But these good versus evil characters are a bit cartoonish. These folks are one step away from Stefano Dimera & Victor Kiriakas staging a coup.

The Verdict: Yep, I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment