Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Take THAT Giada.

As previously mentioned, I'm not a whiz in the kitchen.

Every so often the mood strikes me and I'll decide to spend more than the 3 minutes it takes to use the toaster.

Over the weekend I gave Thai Noodle Salad (recipe below) a shot. Here is the RIVETING recap.

Taste: 3 out of 5. The deductions are due to the fact that the recipe came from Woman's Health Magazine (read: too healthy). Up the peanut butter factor in the dressing and I'd give it a 3.5.

Ease: 4 out of 5. It involves boiling water (.5 deduction) and cutting stuff (.5 deduction).

Presentation: 2.5 out of 5. I don't think the folks at Bon Appetit will be calling anytime soon.


Cost: $$$. In general, I find cooking to be expensive. Especially when the recipe calls for the following ingredients:

-black sesame seeds (who has these laying around?)
-buckwheat soba noodles (didn't know what these were).
-rice wine vinegar (all of my cooking friends swear i'll use it ALL the time. uh-huh).

Verdict: Make it. Just follow my improvements (I'm a professional) below.

Thai Noodle Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes

4 oz extra firm tofu
4 oz buckwheat soba noodles
1/2 cup shredded carrots (buy the pre-shredded kind)
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 cup edamame (shelled, obvi)
2 TBSP chopped cilantro (I just ripped it by hand, I'm super breezy in the kitchen)
2 tsp black sesame seeds (worth the $)

Dressing:
1 TBSP creamy peanut butter (again, I'd reco 1.5)
2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
2 TBSP low-sodium soy (the reg soy is a-okay)
2 TBSP lime juice (about 1 lime)
1 tsp brown sugar

Boil the noodles.
Chop everything up the veggies & tofu (1/2 inch cubes)
Combine all of the dressing ingredients in one bowl
Toss everything in one bowl once the pasta is cooked

Note: Add some red pepper flakes & coarse salt to counterbalance the health-factor. This isn't "The Biggest Loser".

The end.

1 comment: