Friday, August 12, 2011

I Think I Like Comic Books

I suppose I shouldn't be stunned.

I used to dress up like Lynda Carter (best and only Wonder Woman worth noting) using my mom's red boots and my "Get 'n Shape Girl" kit to complete the look. The amount of spinning that took place in my bedroom (I WAS TRANSFORMING) should have prepared me for ice skating or dancing (or some other activity that requires twirling), but it didn't.

Fast forward to 2011. Sure, I've seen some of the live action movies ("Iron Man", yes. "Green Lantern", no.) and even get sucked into the occasional episode of "Family Guy". But it shocked no one more than me when I found myself obsessing over Lucy Knisley's charming journal/blog/photo journey "Make Yourself Happy".

Read it in 2 hours.

I'm not booking my ticket for ComicCon just yet, but I'm starting to get it. It's an escape. It's storytelling. It's a way to bring childhood imagination into our all-too adult worlds.

 
Can't wait to settle in for another 2 hours of escape.





No comments:

Post a Comment