Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Project Runway FAIL

I appreciate fashion.

I get what couture is all about.

I even appreciate the looks I could never (or would never) pull off.

I don't understand, however, the recent trend of runway looks creeping into the ready-to-wear collections not as inspiration, but instead, as actual ensembles us regular folk are supposed to want to wear.

There's a fine line between unwearable and just bad taste. Let me illustrate for you.

Bad taste:

Unwearable:


Bad Taste:


Unwearable:

You get the gist. 

What confuses me is that well-respected magazines known for striking a balance between being fashion-forward and consumer friendly, are telling us that things like this:

and this...


are acceptable. No one will wear pants constructed of every bad pattern imaginable. Nor is there a big market for bubblewrap-inspired dresses. What I find particularly interesting is the above "statement" pieces would be PANNED by the esteemed panel on Project Runway yet these are the very same folks in charge of what we see on these pages.

YOUR MOVE, Nina Garcia.

1 comment:

  1. But you said that pink number would look good on me! Should I not have immediately ordered it?

    ReplyDelete