Tuesday, June 28, 2011

This One Time, At Motorcycle Camp...

I work in advertising. It's not like Mad Men. I mean, there is more alcohol than a typical corporate environment. And there are couplings. And creatives think account people are idiots while account people think creatives are divas. So yah, maybe it is like Mad Men.

Anyway, not my point.

Though budgets aren't quite what they used to be, we do sometimes get to do some out of the box things, all in the name of research.

Most recently, a few of my work buddies and I spent a couple days in Laconia, NH at one of the largest motorcycle rallies of the year. Our assignment was to meet bikers, check out the booths, and see what people respond to. Basically, blend. And try not to embarrass ourselves.


FAIL.

I'm not a biker (surprise!). Prior to this trip, I had never even been on a bike (Vespas don't count). But I brought my very best leather jacket (thanks Urban Outfitters), and climbed on the back of that hog like I knew exactly what to do.


And you know what? I kind of loved it.

People who ride bikes are tough. They're intimidating. They are inherently cooler than I will ever be. Pretending to be one of them (even if they totally spotted me as a fake) allowed me to be someone else for a few days...Who doesn't love to escape now & then?

Here are some of my favorite pics...

                                                   Me and Aud blending.

                                                Tough girl.

                                                   Views.

                              In case my boss reads this - SEE - I was working, too.

                                         The Broken Spoke. Research.

                                                       See you at Sturgis!

1 comment: