Monday, June 20, 2011

The Art of Not Trying Too Hard

The last time I tried blogging (RIP gibbsbits.com), I felt this ridiculous pressure to make the blog a "success". I had no idea how to define "success", and therefore had no plan for how to achieve it. Any time anything in my life is attached to some sort of measurement goal, I am instantly filled with angst.  My little brother got the risk gene. See below.


I avoid risk almost as vehemently as I run from those creepy women who compliment my hair. I get it, I have good hair. But I don't want to sell your make up to my friends.


Anyway, this isn't to say I say that I always run from challenges (I'm getting better at staying put), but much like my parents did for my brother & I, I've set the bar low for SevenGrayFall. No one fails. Everybody wins.

This will be a place where I write about whatever strikes my fancy. I'll even say things like "strikes my fancy".

Maybe I'll share it widely. Maybe I won't. Maybe there will be cliffhanger posts every day like General Hospital. Maybe I'll be like James Frey and make stuff up. Maybe Oprah will come back from faux-retirement to interview me. No. One. Knows.

Here's what you CAN expect (I think):

1) There will be pictures. Why?


   a. because my brother (above, I'll let you figure out which one) says blogs don't work without them.


b. I recently bought a very expensive camera AND lucked my way into a talented boyfriend who takes pictures. VICTORY.

2) It will be wordy. I write like I talk. Often & effusively.

3) I will mock celebrity fashion. Share the occasional outfit post. Comment on pop culture. Provide general commentary on whatever I feel like sharing.

4) I commit to writing 5 days a week. I'm nothing if not loyal.

If more than 5 people read this, I'll be stunned. The impetus for this is not infamy. Just indulgent escape.

Read it or don't. Love it or don't. My therapist says journaling is important. She didn't mention making it public, but I only listen to about 1/2 of what she tells me anyway.

Signed,
This Girl

2 comments:

  1. I talk a lot, too. We should be friends.

    Sincerely,
    Your first stalker

    ReplyDelete